Prep: 30 mins - Cooking: 25 mins
- 500g Alfred Enderby Luxury Fish Pie Mix
- 1 Shallot, cut into quarters
- 1 x bay leaf
- 150ml milk
Pie Topping Ingredients
- 800g-1kg King Edward potatoes
- 50g butter
- 200g Lincolnshire Poacher Cheese, grated
- 25g rapeseed oil, or homemade chive & spinach oil
White Sauce Ingredients
- 25g butter
- 25g plain flour
- 4tsp flat or curly lead parsley, roughly chopped
- 3 spring onions, roughly chopped
- 50g frozen garden peas
- Salt & pepper to season
- Worcester sauce to taste
Steps To Make The Pie Mix
- To prepare this, have a pan with boiling water and a separate bowl with water and ice
- Take 25g of baby leaf spinach and 10g of chopped chives. Blanch in the boiling water, by putting it into a sieve and blanching for 20 seconds.
- Place straight into the ice water to stop the cooking process.
- Place onto a clean and dry tea towel and squeeze out any excess water.
- Place into a blender. Blend until it’s a fine pulp.
- Gradually add 25ml of rapeseed oil, or more if you’re making this to keep some for later.
Salt & pepper to season ½ lemon
- Peel and chop potatoes and place into a sauce pan. Cover with water and a tsp of salt. Bring to the boil and then simmer for 25 minutes until soft.
- Whilst the potatoes are simmering, place the fish pie mix, shallot, bay leaf and milk into a pan.
- Bring to the boil, cover with a lid and simmer on a low heat for 3 minutes.
- Drain the fish pie mix and liquid through a sieve and keep the infused milk to one side.
- Leave the fish mix to cool for 10 minutes, before flaking it into your pie dish.
- Once potatoes are cooked, drain and mash together with butter until smooth.
- Add in half of the cheese and squeeze in the lemon juice, mixing everything together.
- Add the chive and spinach oil and mix. This will turn the mashed potatoes bright green and add a subtle flavour.
Steps To Make The White Sauce
- Melt 25g butter in a thick bottom sauce pan.
- Add 25g plain flour to the butter on a low heat and mix it into a paste.
- Gradually add the milk which was set aside from the fish mix, whisking constantly until thick & smooth, this should take 3-4 minutes.
- Season with salt & pepper, 1 tsp Worcester sauce, chopped parsley, garden peas & spring onions.
Steps To Cook
- Pour the sauce mixture over the flaked fish mix.
- Top the fish mix with mashed potato, by placing it into a piping bag and piping neatly on top.
- Sprinkle over the remaining cheese.
- To cook, pre heat the oven to 180ºc.
- Take a large and deep baking tin, place in the pie dish and fill the tray with water to sit 2cm up the side of the pie dish.
- Cook in the oven for 25 minutes.