Makes 2 pies
- 600g Alfred Enderby Smoked Haddock
- 1 Shallot, cut into quarters
- 1 x bay leaf
- 150ml milk
- 800g-1kg King Edward potatoes
- 50g butter
- 200g Lincolnshire Poacher Cheese, grated
- 25g rapeseed oil, or homemade chive and spinach oil
- To prepare this, have a pan with boiling water and a separate bowl with water and ice.
- Take 25g of baby leaf spinach and 10g of chopped chives. Blanch in the boiling water, by putting it into a sieve and blanching for 20 seconds.
- Place straight into the ice water to stop the cooking process.
- Place onto a clean and dry tea towel and squeeze out any excess water.
- Place into a blender. Blend until it’s a fine pulp.
- Gradually add 25ml of rapeseed oil, or more if you’re making this to keep some for later.
Salt & pepper to season
- 25g butter
- 25g plain flour
- 4tsp flat or curly lead parsley, roughly chopped
- 3 spring onions, roughly chopped
- 50g frozen garden peas.
- Salt & pepper to season
- Worcester sauce to taste
- Peel and chop potatoes and place into a sauce pan. Cover with water and a tsp of salt. Bring to the boil and then simmer for 25 minutes until soft.
- Whilst the potatoes are simmering, place the haddock, shallot, bay leaf and milk into a pan. Bring to the boil, cover with a lid and simmer on a low heat for 3 minutes.
- Drain the haddock and liquid through a sieve and keep the infused milk to one side.
- Leave the haddock to cool for 10 minutes, before flaking it into your pie dish.
- Once potatoes are cooked, drain and mash together with butter until smooth. Add in half of the cheese and squeeze in the lemon juice, mixing everything together. Add the chive and spinach oil and mix. This will turn the mashed potatoes bright green and add a subtle flavour.
- To make the white sauce;
- Melt 25g butter in a thick bottom sauce pan.
- Add 25g plain flour to the butter on a low heat and mix it into a paste.
- Gradually add the milk which was set aside from the haddock, whisking constantly until thick and smooth, this should take 3-4 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper, 1 tsp Worcester sauce, chopped parsley, garden peas and spring onions.
- Pour the sauce mixture over the flaked haddock.
- Top the haddock with mashed potato, by placing it into a piping bag and piping neatly onto.
- Sprinkle over the remaining cheese.
- To cook, pre heat the oven to 180ºc.
- Take a large and deep baking tin, place in the pie dish and fill the tray with water to sit 2cm up the side of the pie dish.
- Cook in the oven for 25 minutes.